Put the season’s surplus of tomatoes to good use with a little guidance from chef Jay Silva. His recipe for oven dried tomatoes calls for fresh thyme leaves and a healthy coating of olive oil, and it’ll buy you a little time in which to enjoy the bounty (on sandwiches, in pasta dishes or in a tasty tapenade) before fall.
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half from top to bottom
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Place cut tomatoes in a mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss together to season. Let the mixture stand for 20 minutes.
- Place cut side up on a roasting rack. Make sure you have a shallow pan underneath the rack.
- Roast in the oven for at least an hour. It can take up to four hours depending on your oven and how ripe the tomatoes are.
- Make these at least a day in advance and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.