Greece meets South America in this recipe from East-meets-West chef, Ming Tsai. No stranger to fusion fare, Tsai combines elements of classic Greek cuisine (lamb and tzatziki) with hints of South-of-the-Border cooking (jalapenos and corn tortillas) for a dish that’s the best of both worlds.
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound ground lamb
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 6 mint leaves, finely sliced
- 1 cup cucumbers, quarter-inch dice
- 1/2 head iceberg, finely shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 package small corn or flour tortillas
- extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- In a large skillet or sauté pan coated lightly with oil, sauté the garlic, onion, jalapeno and cumin until lightly caramelized.
- Add in the lamb, season and cook through, about 5 minutes.
- Fold in the lemon juice and check for flavor.
- Meanwhile mix the sriracha, yogurt, mint, cucumbers and lemon zest together, and season to taste.
- Warm the tortillas. Assemble the lamb mixture, lettuce and tzatziki in the tortillas to create the tacos for service.