- 5 lbs. whole slab bacon, preferably with the rind on
- 3 carrots, cut into large dice
- 2 large onions, cut into large dice
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into large dice
- 1/2 head of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch of ginger, sliced and smashed
- sachet of parsley, thyme, bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup Armagnac
- 6 cups good quality chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a heavy braising pan, sweat the vegetables and spices in butter until they begin to soften and release their moisture.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and Armagnac. Place the bacon on top of the vegetables and add the stock. Heat to a strong simmer.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid or aluminum foil. Cook until fork tender, approximately 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove the bacon from the pot and strain the braising liquid into a saucepan. Reduce liquid by 1/3 and pour back over the bacon.
- After the bacon has cooled you may slice it and sear in a pan for additional flavor. The braise will be even better the next day, and will keep refrigerated for 5 days.