Are you passionate about pastries and baked goods? Love talking about food? We are looking for an individual who strives for quality and with integrity and enjoys the companionship of others in a small bakery.
We are Butternut Bakehouse, a bakery serving charming, rustic handcrafted pastries located on Mass Ave in Arlington. Due to our focus on quality small-batch baked goods, and our community-centric customer service, our business is growing, and our team is expanding. We are seeking passionate back of house team members eager to cultivate a creative, fun, and consistent café environment.
Our opening bakers at Butternut bring life into the cafe with warm pastries, delicious smells, and good energy. Their ultimate goal is to prepare our baked goods to a high quality, and welcome the rest of the team with a solid start to opening. The opening baker bakes off pastries for the morning, produces dough, completes other prep work, and keeps a clean and well-stocked workspace.
A successful applicant is friendly and will have some industry experience, attention to detail, and be a proactive, community-oriented team player.
You will be part of a small team in a growing business.
This is a good starter position for an early stage career baker. This is a part time position requiring 30 hours per week, scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There is the opportunity to shift to 40 hours after three (3) months.
- Wednesdays 5 am – 11 am | Morning Bakeoff
- Thursdays 5 am – 11 am | Morning Bakeoff
- Fridays 9 am – 3 pm| Production
- Saturdays 4:30 am – 10:30am | Morning Bakeoff
- Sundays: 8 am -2 pm | Production
- Morning bake-off for retail pastry counter and wholesale –pastries, scones, croissants, morning buns, mini cakes, cookies
- Production of dough
- Prep work: scooping cookie dough, egg soufflé, wrapping cakes, mix fillings, portioning dough
- Maintain an orderly and organized kitchen
- At least 6 months professional baking or kitchen experience and industry references
- Strong work ethic and able to work as a team
- Available to work weekends is important
- Attention to detail. Able to assess product quality to maintain high consistency of offerings
- Self-motivated individual with passion for food
- Dependable, fun and positive attitude
- Able to lift 50 lbs and stand for long periods
- High standards of cleanliness and quality of work
- 1 year commitment
Compensation and Benefits
- $16 plus shared tips (min $19 with tips)
- Free drinks, and select pastries, on shift
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- Employees that work over 30 hours per week are eligible for health, vision, and dental benefits.
- Starting in early December.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
Butternut Bakehouse requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Due to cyclical surges in COVID-19 cases, we are currently requiring all employees to wear masks during shifts.