- 3 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2-3 strips of orange rind (orange part only)
- 1 packet powdered gelatin (2-2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup milk
- fresh strawberries
- Sprinkle gelatin in cold water and set aside to soften.
- Split the vanilla beans lengthwise and, with a paring knife, scrape out the seeds.
- Put the heavy cream, sugar, orange rind, vanilla beans and seeds into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove cream from heat and add gelatin. Stir to dissolve, and then add milk.
- Let steep for at least 15 minutes.
- Pass mixture through a fine mesh strainer, applying pressure to the solids to extract flavor.
- Stir liquid and pour equally into 8, 5-6 ounce cups. Place the cups on a tray, cover loosely with clear wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut fresh strawberries into bite sized pieces. Depending on the tartness of the berries and the degree of sweetness desired, toss with sugar to taste. Set aside.
- Un-mold the panna cotta by running a paring knife around the inside edge of each cup. Be sure to run the knife all the way to the bottom of each cup to free the panna cotta completely.
- Invert the panna cotta onto serving plates.
- Spoon strawberries with their juice around the panna cotta and serve at once.