This Greek-inspired recipe from Jamie Bissonnette, with its bright accents of mint, cucumber, turmeric and chipotle, will remind you of summer but it’s a great, quick dinner any time of year. Lamb loins are prized cuts and sometimes hard to find, so make sure to speak with your butcher before setting out to prepare this wonderful dish.
- 1 pound lamb loin
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped mint
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled, seeded and small diced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (chipotle, or other variety)
- Mix the yogurt, half of the garlic, lime juice, tahini, cucumbers, turmeric, mint, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Season lamb with olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic.
- On a preheated grill pan, cook the lamb over medium flame, moving as needed until cooked to desired doneness (medium rare is ideal).
- Remove the lamb from the grill and place in a bowl large enough to hold the lamb and the yogurt sauce.
- Let the lamb rest for five minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the bowl, saving the juice, and slice into medallions.
- Place the medallions back into the bowl. Add half of the yogurt sauce and stir.
- Top with scallions. Serve with steamed rice and the remaining yogurt sauce on the side.