Cooler nights call for comfort food — preferably with heavy cream and bacon, right? — and this meat-based signature sauce from Chef Joshua Smith of Moody’s Delicatessen & Provisions features both. Serve over a pasta type of your choice (a long, thick-cut noodle would be great like tagliatelle, fettuccine or pappardelle), and pair with a glass of red wine for a cozy meal.
- 1 pound bacon
- 4 ounces white onions
- 2 ounces carrot
- 1 ounce celery
- 2 ounces white wine
- 1/2 ounce garlic, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh, ripe, chopped tomatoes or canned San marzano tomatoes
- 3 ounces heavy cream
- In a meat grinder or food processor grind together bacon, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Over medium heat in thick bottom pot or staub, render bacon and vegetables. Deglaze with white wine. Add garlic and tomatoes and reduce until thickened constantly stirring.
- Finish with heavy cream and season to taste.
- Serve over your favorite fresh pasta with a poached egg. Garnish with chopped chives and parsley.