Sprinkle around some holiday cheer with these Christmas cookies from chef Steve Zimei. He offers up the recipe for the bedecked confections, iced and decorated for extra festive flair. Bake a bunch so you’ll have extras to leave for the big guy and plenty to gift, as well.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 4 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 2/3 cup, plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 3 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- In a bowl, mix flour, sprinkles, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and granulated sugar on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and working with 1 tablespoon of dough at a time roll into balls and space evenly on pans. Bake until puffed and just set, about 12-14 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on the sheet then transfer to a wire rack before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl with paddle, cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla on medium low speed until smooth. Add confectioner’s sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Frost each cookie evenly and top with more sprinkles.