Need a simple and super fast recipe to help you use up all of your rhubarb? Chef Jason Bond’s got just the thing. No canning equipment (or experience) is required here. Plus, it’s easily adaptable, so you can make it anytime with whichever fruit is in season. His version below pulls in plenty of spices for a potent and pleasant spread.
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/4 inch pieces or batons
- 1 pound sugar
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamon pods
- 2 ounces candied ginger, sliced
- Mix all and allow to sit overnight to macerate.
- The second day, scrape into a heavy pan. Make sure it is large enough for the mixture to bubble up without spilling over.
- Cook on high heat, stirring just until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cook to 224 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat. Ladle into jars. Refrigerate.