Chef Israel Medina shares an easy summer appetizer with his grilled shrimp starter. The seafood gets a quick cook and is served over a salsa of juicy mango, fresh cucumber and bright mint. A maple chipotle sauce provides an extra layer of savory goodness for balanced bites.
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 3 mangoes, peeled
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 10 mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons chipotle powder
- Dice the mangoes, cucumber, and tomatoes. Chop the mint and combine. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the maple syrup and chipotle powder until combined, then add the sauce to the salsa and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Grill or broil the shrimp until pink on each side and cooked through (at least 30 seconds per side).
- To plate, spoon the salsa onto small plates and place 3 grilled shrimp on top.