Cooking for one? This classic Italian dish from chef Grasiani Costa is your key to a winning weeknight meal. It’s fast but feels fancy and can be easily duplicated during date night or multiplied even more for entertaining. Pan frying then searing the chicken keeps the outside crisp but the inside moist, which is the hallmark of any chicken recipe worth keeping. Serve with shaved parmesan on top and a side of arugula salad tossed with lemon juice and olive oil.
- 8 oz chicken breast
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumb
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 4 tiny tomatoes
- 1-2 ounces parmesan cheese
- Butterfly chicken breast and pound very, very thin (until ~1/4 inch thick). Soak chicken breast in skim milk.
- Prepare three trays – one with flour, one with egg, one with bread crumb mixture. Move chicken from milk into flour and coat entirely until it is dry. Then, place into eggs, then into bread crumb and mix until chicken is evenly coated.
- Heat oil in shallow fry pan (large enough to fit chicken breast into easily). Fry chicken over medium-high heat until center is cooked through, about 2-4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- Either in a warmed oven or in a second dry fry pan, pan sear fried chicken breast until golden brown and ready to serve.
- Top with juice from 1/2 to 1 lemon, arugula tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, tiny tomatoes (cut in half if larger than bite sized), lemon wedges, and shaved parmesan cheese.