The transition into fall brings some warm days and some cool days. On the ones where the temps hover above 70, keep things light in the kitchen with chef Jason Reed’s arugula salad that’s topped with grilled lavender peaches, homemade orange-zested chevre cream and a pistachio vinaigrette. It’s simple to pull together for those not-quite-yet fall evenings when you still want to hold onto summer.
- 3 local peaches, cored and cut into 8 slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled, toasted, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup canola
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chevre, goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, chopped or microplaned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water, as needed
- Toss peaches in olive oil and lavender, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat grill over high heat. When grill is hot, turn to medium high and grill peach slices on both sides until well marked, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Whisk everything together. The vinaigrette will be broken and chunky but that is okay.
- Whisk everything together and slowly drizzle in water until you reach a loose yogurt consistency.
- On the bottom of a platter or plate smear chevre cream. Place arugula on top of chevre cream making sure not to cover all of it, some white should poke through the arugula.
- Next, place the grilled peaches on top of the arugula sporadically and finally drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette.