This recipe from Ovenbird Cafe‘s Jason Reed combines two of the best bits of summer – grilling and glorious, gone-before-you-know-it peaches. Reed tops peppery arugula with grilled lavender peaches, homemade orange-zested chevre cream and a pistachio vinaigrette for a seasonal salad that’s perfect for those balmy August evenings when you don’t want to turn on the oven.
- 3 local peaches, cored and cut into 8 slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled, toasted, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup canola
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chevre, goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, chopped or microplaned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water, as needed
- Toss peaches in olive oil and lavender, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat grill over high heat. When grill is hot, turn to medium high and grill peach slices on both sides until well marked, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Whisk everything together. The vinaigrette will be broken and chunky but that is okay.
- Whisk everything together and slowly drizzle in water until you reach a loose yogurt consistency.
- On the bottom of a platter or plate smear chevre cream. Place arugula on top of chevre cream making sure not to cover all of it, some white should poke through the arugula.
- Next, place the grilled peaches on top of the arugula sporadically and finally drizzle with desired amount of vinaigrette.