If your DIY-ing your holiday dinner and looking for a tasty new take on your basic Brussels sprouts, check out this little number from chef Robert Sisca, partner at the Himmel Hospitality Group which includes Bistro du Midi, The Banks Fish House, Grill 23 and Harvest. With the addition of bacon, cranberries, breadcrumbs and spicy honey, it’s a beautifully balanced combination of sweet and savory that captures all those delightful fall flavors.
- 2 pounds baby Brussels sprouts, cleaned trimmed and blanched
- 3 ounces bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili flake
- 1 tablespoon Mike's Hot Honey (or regular honey and add more chili flake)
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs. (Toast in pan with olive oil)
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (pickling them would be great especially in some fall Spiced but extra step)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Render bacon in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once crispy add, shallots, garlic and chili flake.
- After 3 minutes, add Brussels and sauté. Cook for about 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Add cranberries.
- Drizzle honey, add breadcrumbs and broil in oven for 4 minutes.