Corn is popping up at local farmer’s markets a little early this year — rejoice! And start thinking beyond the cob. Chef Tatiana Rosana of Outlook at the Envoy and its summer-long pop-up-in-residence, Para Maria, has a helpful way to put the much-anticipated, summer staple to good use. The talented cooker rolls two beloved preparations – corn fritters and Mexican street corn – into one delicious recipe so you can make the most of the extended season.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup grilled corn
- 1 cup minced white onions
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese (or ricotta salata if not available)
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oil in a large pot to 350 degrees F
- In a bowl mix together buttermilk, oil, eggs, corn, onions, cilantro, and cheese. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl mix together cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Using a 2 oz scoop, scoop hush puppies into fryer, making sure to flip or push them down for even cooking.
- Top with spicy mayo, cheese, cilantro and paprika