Make this simple, springtime soup as either a first course, lunch or light supper. Chef Bruce suggests replacing the butter with three slices of diced bacon (render before adding the onions) if you’d like to impart a smoky flavor to the fresh soup. You can also replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock if a vegetarian dish is desired.
- 1 cup spring onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound fresh fiddlehead ferns, washed
- 1 potato, peeled and diced small
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a three quart sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the onions and slowly cook until they are tender.
- Pour in the broth and bring to boil. Add the fiddleheads and potato, and continue to simmer for fifteen minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and puree using either a traditional or hand-held blender.
- Return the pureed soup to the heat, stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.