It’s a busy time of year with everyone trying to eke out all the last bits of summer goodness while still getting everything squared away for back-to-school. Here’s a super simple recipe for zucchini pesto from chef and restaurateur Ken Oringer. It’s got lots of garden-fresh produce like zucchini and basil, and it’s a snap to prepare so you’ll still have plenty of time to catch some late summer rays or hit the books…or both.
- 1 pound zucchini, shredded on box grater, salted and squeezed through a kitchen towel
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 4 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup marcona almonds, toasted and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grilled bread, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss to mix well. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- To serve, spread over grilled bread rubbed with olive oil.