Take the best of New England’s bounty and your farmer’s market finds like rhubarb, cucumbers, basil and cilantro and put them together to create this relish from chef Peter McCarthy. It practically screams summer and pairs perfectly with your favorite whitefish like haddock, cod and (when the season comes) striped bass. Chicken and pork are also good options if you’re not in the mood for seafood.
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup thin sliced rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup 3/4" x 1/8" cut red onion
- 1 cup thin sliced peeled seeded Diva Cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the vinegar and sugar in a small stainless steel pot over medium heat. Bring just to a simmer; cooking just long enough to melt the sugar, about 2 minutes.
- Once the sugar has melted add the rhubarb and garlic; bring the mixture back to a simmer and remove the pot from the heat and chill the mixture to room temperature.
- Add the remaining relish ingredients to the rhubarb mixture.