What better way to celebrate prime produce season than with a recipe that lets each ingredient sing with all the fresh notes of summer? Wow your guests, family and yourself with this magical watermelon caprese salad from Stillwater’s Sarah Wade, made with lettuce from the local year-round greens growers at Little Leaf Farms. Bursting with flavor, this dish gets lots of satisfying crunch from the Little Leaf greens, elements of sweet thanks to the watermelon, a bit of zing from the lemon & balsamic vinegar and the perfect amount of lusciousness courtesy of the mozzarella. It’s perfect for picnics, backyard barbecues, pool parties or a quick and easy work week lunch.
- One 4 ounce box of Little Leaf Farms Greens
- 1 cup seedless watermelon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (any color)
- 1 cup ciliegine buffalo mozzarella
- 8-10 leaves fresh basil
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- balsamic glaze
- Marinate mozzarella: chop the basil in julienne strips, put cheese in bowl, add lemon zest, drizzle with evoo, sprinkle with chopped basil, and toss.
- Marinate tomatoes: put tomatoes in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, drizzle with EVOO, and toss.
- Scoop the watermelon into balls and set in a small bowl.
- Combine mozzarella, watermelon, and tomatoes and toss together.
- Season greens: put greens in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with EVOO, and toss.
- Place the mozzarella, watermelon, and tomatoes on top of a bed of Little Leaf Farms Greens and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Salt and pepper to taste.