- 4 large beets
- 4 ounces aged goat cheese (Bucheron, cana, or Humbolt fog)
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut pieces, toasted
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 leaves chervil or taragon leaves
- Place the beets, skin on, in a roasting pan with 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and a good dusting of salt.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in a 350º oven for about 30 minutes or until the flesh of the beet is pierced easily with a knife.
- Allow beets to cool and then peel the skin with the abrasion of a dish towel.
- Slice the beets thinly and place on a platter or plate.
- Meanwhile, combine the juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper in a small bowl, then slowly whisk in the olive oil until the mixture becomes emulsified.
- Drizzle the beets with the dressing, then top with pieces of the cheese, hazelnuts and the chervil or taragon.