You don’t need to be Italian to love biscotti. Pastry Chef Danny Angelopolus from Henrietta’s Table adds in mixed nuts and dried cranberries to his recipe and recommends that you dip the finished product in high quality chocolate — and really, why wouldn’t you? Dunk your dessert into a coffee of your choice (a cappuccino or latte are both good calls) or a piping hot cuppa tea.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 zest of orange
- 1 pound all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 large whole egg
- 1 pound mixed whole nuts (Fetashi brand or other quality nuts of chosen variety)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Stir sugar & orange zest together. Sift flour with baking powder; add to sugar & zest mixture.
- Slowly add eggs mix one minute until dough comes together & is firm.
- Add mixed nuts & cranberries.
- Form dough in to a round log, place on a sheet pan & press gently with hand to flatten the log slightly (it will spread some during baking) & brush with a beaten egg. Bake at 350 degrees about 15 minutes until golden brown & firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool & then slice the log in to desired thickness of biscotti.
- Place the sliced cookies back on a sheet pan & dry them out in tan oven at 300 degrees for 20 to 45 minutes until desired color & or texture is achieved.
- Allow to cool to room temperature & serve as is or dip biscotti in high quality chocolate.