Anise Scented Lamb Shanks
- 8 lamb shanks (front leg shanks)
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Gala apple, 1/2 inch dice
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine (whatever you're drinking at the moment)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Season the shanks with salt and pepper
- In a sauté pan, heat vegetable oil on high heat and brown the shanks on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Using the same pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil, add diced vegetables, tomato paste and apple and cook until well browned. Add wine and simmer, reducing liquid by half.
- Put shanks in a large pot. Add the liquid with vegetables, tomato paste, and fresh bay leaves. Cover shanks with stock or water and season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the shanks are very tender and the meat falls from the bone.
- Serve these with a spoon and some crusty bread.