Jump right in to the jolliest of seasons with Nono’s Perfect Holiday Sugar Cookies from Vicki Lee’s Nolan Schooley. The Belmont-based baker, fresh from an appearance on the Food Network’s Christmas Cookie Challenge, shares his tried-and-true recipe for a deliciously simple yet super festive cookie (a perfect fit for this season’s “A Very Retro Christmas” theme). You can see for yourself – bake up a batch (no refrigeration required – just make and roll) to pair with your boozy hot chocolate or big ol’ glass of milk or tune in to the Food Network to catch Nono in action.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 3 minutes
- BEAT in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, nutmeg and salt with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients.
- If the dough looks crumbly keep mixing for 30 seconds to 1 minute longer. The dough should be pulling away from the sides of the mixer.
- Do not chill dough. Divide into workable batches (2-3 chunks), roll out onto a floured surface, and cut. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side (closer to 1/4 inch rather than 1/8).
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.