- 4 pounds Macomber or Cape Cod turnips, peeled and diced
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup course breadcrumbs
- 1 kosher salt
- 1 black pepper, cracked
- Boil the turnips and potato in lightly salted water until tender.
- Drain well and mash with butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper and maple syrup.
- Work until creamy, light and fluffy.
- Let cool slightly, and then mix in the egg yolks.
- Spread evenly in a lightly buttered medium-sized casserole dish.
- Top with a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and bake in a pre-heated 350º oven for about one hour until golden brown and bubbly.