Pastry Chef Brian Mercury sources ingredients for his mudslide cookies from Somerville’s own Taza Chocolate. A touch of instant coffee adds a little extra depth in these rich, delicious treats, which will delight your sweets-loving guests. Make sure they don’t eat them all so you can leave a couple out for Santa – and don’t forget the glass of milk.
- 2 ounces butter
- 13 ounces Taza 60% chocolate
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Taza 70% chocolate chunks
- Melt butter, remove from heat and stir in chocolate to melt.
- Combine cake flour, baking powder and salt, sift, set aside in a separate bowl.
- Dissolve coffee in water.
- Whip eggs, sugar, coffee and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gently whip egg mixture and chocolate mix together.
- Stir in flour mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
- Let firm in fridge for about 1 hour.
- Scoop or spoon desired size, bake at 325 - 350 degrees for about 14 - 20 minutes for larger size cookies.