Plump up your next pork dinner with some sweet potato croquettes from chef Keenan Langlois’s playbook. The simple procedure will have you enjoying these fried tater treats in under an hour—they’ll also work with shellfish or red meat, or as a snack on their own!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 quarts canola oil
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soda water
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 ounces crème fraiche
- Scallions, minced
- Roast potatoes at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until soft but not mushy. When cooled through, cut into small pieces, leaving the skin on.
- To make the batter, combine flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt in a bowl, then whisk in soda water until smooth.
- To make sugar spice coating, combine brown sugar, kosher salt and chili flakes.
- Whip crème fraiche in a mixer on medium until stiff peak forms.
- Heat 2 quarts of canola oil in a 4 quart pot to 375 degrees.
- Dredge potatoes lightly in batter and deep fry for 2 minutes.
- Pull out with a slotted spoon, drop into a mixing bowl, and toss with sugar coating.
- Garnish with minced scallions and dip in crème fraiche.