- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold butter
- 1/2 pound rhubarb stalks
- 1 pint hulled strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1/4 cup Vermont Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into 1/4 inch cubes, and fold into flour mix. Add milk, egg and vanilla. Stir together until incorporated into dough, but do not over mix, as shortcake will become less flaky.
- Roll out dough to 1 inch thick and cut into 4 each 3 inch circles. Place onto buttered and floured cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes until biscuits are golden brown. Remove and reserve.
- Wash and cut rhubarb into small cubes, place into pot with sugar and simmer 5 minutes until tender, remove and place in bowl.
- Cut strawberries into quarters and toss with rhubarb mix. Let set 30 minutes to develop flavors.
- In bowl combine mascarpone and maple syrup, beat together until peak.
- Cut shortcake into halves and place bottom into dessert plate, layer with strawberry rhubarb filling, and top with a dollop of mascarpone. Powder sugar top half of cake and place on mascarpone, garnish with mint sprig.