If you’re planning to take part in any type of tequila-fueled festivity on National Margarita Day (which is coming up on Friday, February 22nd), you’re going to need some nourishment. Enter: a creamy, crowd-pleasing dip from chef Steve Zimei that combines all the great qualities of guacamole — there are many — with some extra creaminess by way of Greek yogurt and a pop of protein, thanks to a not-so-secret ingredient (edamame). It’s the perfect snack to nosh on while drinking because with one hand holding a refreshing Mexican sipper, you’ll be free to use your other paw to grab a chip and dip and dip and dip…
- 2 cups shelled edamame
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, plain
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1 small vine ripe tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 3 limes, juice of
- 3/4 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Place edamame in the bowl of a food processor and process into a paste, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Scrape avocado flesh into a bowl and mash until smooth.
- Add the edamame paste, Greek yogurt, red onion, tomato, cilantro, and jalapeño and stir to combine.
- Add lime juice, Sriracha and salt to taste.