Take a cue from chef Carl Dooley and level up your summer salad by swapping green leaves with Persian cucumber and opting for fresh squid as your protein. The seafood is marinated in a light sauce of EVOO, salt and coriander for an hour or so, before it is charred to perfection on the grill. Finished off with a healthy serving of sliced-and-spiced cucumbers, this salad will keep you and your dinner guests feeling fresh.
- 1 pound squid
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 Persian cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 jalapeño, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- dash of green tabasco
- 1 green apple, sliced thin
- Rinse and dry squid thoroughly. Then, in a large bowl, toss with EVOO salt, and coriander. Let the squid marinate for 1 hour.
- Grill on high for two minutes on each side. Let cool and slice into thin rings.
- Slice cucumbers into thin coins. In a large bowl, toss with salt, ginger, sugar, jalapeño, mint, cilantro and green tabasco. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Lay some of the marinated cucumber salad down on the plate. Put the grilled squid on top and then garnish with some thinly sliced green apple.