Ancient grains prove their staying power in this simple and satisfying spelt bread recipe from chef Sharon Burns. The high-protein, whole grain flour lends a lightness to the finished loaf, enhanced by a little honey sweetness. Prep the dough the night before and bake away the next day for a hearty and wholesome addition to the bread box (best with a slab of butter).
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups high gluten flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Stir together all ingredients, or combine in an electric mixer with a dough hook, until the dough is smooth. Refrigerate in a tightly covered bowl overnight. (The bowl should have enough room so that the dough can double without spilling over.)
- The next day, preheat the oven to 400F. Place the chilled dough in a greased loaf pan and let it rise to the top of the pan.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325F and bake another 35-45 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven and turn it out of the pan right away. Let it cool before slicing.