- 4 jumbo sea scallops (about 12 ounces total)
- 6 stalks of jumbo asparagus, peeled from 1 inch beneath the tip to the base
- 3/4 pound morel mushrooms, stems and any excess dirt & water removed
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- aged balsamic vinegar (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 large cloves garlic
- Finely chop the parsley, lemon zest and garlic. Combine all of these ingredients and mix well.
- Place 4 ounces (8 tablespoons or one stick) of butter in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the butter begins to separate and the solids begin to turn light brown in color.
- Remove from heat. Carefully add the lemon juice and stand back. Reserve.
- Heat an oven to 500 degrees.
- Slice the asparagus spears on the bias into pieces about 1 1/2 inches long. The bottom 1 1/2 inch should not be used. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, and toss with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to coat well. Spread the asparagus on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and roast for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.
- Remove excess dirt by rinsing the morels 5 times with water. Let the morels dry by laying them onto a sheet pan lined with damp towels.
- Cut the morels into halves or quarters lengthwise, depending on size. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread the morels on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and roast for 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and reserve.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper (both sides please). When the pan begins to smoke, add the canola oil and then the scallops.
- After about 30 seconds, carefully rotate the scallops 90 degrees. This will give them a better, more even sear. Cook for another minute or so. Flip the scallops over and cook for another minute or two until they are nicely seared.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter, and quickly and carefully baste the scallops with the fat in the pan. Remove the scallops from the pan and blot dry on a paper towel.
- Meanwhile, heat another sauté pan over high heat. Add the last 1 tablespoon of butter and then the asparagus and morels. Cook until the vegetables are hot and then add 1 tablespoon of gremolata and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Divide the mushrooms and asparagus into 4 piles and place one in the center of each of 4 plates. Top with a scallop.
- Drizzle a little of the brown butter around the mounds and then drizzle some of the aged balsamic vinegar onto the brown butter. Enjoy.