Try Jason Santos’ autumnal take on the simple scallop. Combining ingredients like only the blue-haired chef can, this recipe is filled with interesting flavors – spicy, smoky, sweet and savory. It’s the perfect way to start a special meal.
- 8 sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 strips good quality bacon (the thicker the better)
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Mix the warm water, cherries and Tabasco together and let it steep for five minutes. Then, strain the liquid away and reserve the cherries.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the maple syrup.
- In a sauté pan heat the canola oil, add the bacon and cook till crisp. Remove the bacon and keep warm.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper, sear on both sides for approximately one minute on each side in the same pan to a perfect medium-rare.
- Place two strips of bacon and some cherries on each plate, place the scallops on top, dust wth sugar, drizzle with maple aioli and garnish with chives.