This simple to prepare Armenian spread known as Muhammara is a classic mezze found all over the eastern Mediterranean. Paul Turano suggests making it the day before you want to serve it, as it tastes better the second day, and best when its slightly warmed.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 whole scallions
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon Aleppo chilies
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon Urfa chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine all ingredients and blend in a food processor.
- To serve, garnish with a generous sprinkle of sumac and enjoy slightly warmed.