Long before she was pastry chef at Deuxave, Jaime Davis was just another kid enjoying Grandmother’s baking. Below, Davis has shared the family secret for delicious pumpkin cookies that are “cakey and soft and taste like fall!” She still makes the sweet treats every holiday season, and says there’s no rush to gobble them up all at once—according to her, they’re even better the next day.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups shortening
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling (Davis uses One-Pie brand)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325-350 degrees.
- Cream together sugar and shortening.
- Mix in eggs.
- Mix in all other dry ingredients except flour.
- Mix in pumpkin pie filling and vanilla.
- Pour in flour slowly, mixing to incorporate.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.