- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 4 ounces ice water
- 16 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup finely crumbled palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- egg wash
- 3 tablespoons coarsely crumbled palm sugar
- vanilla ice cream
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter gradually (cutting it in) and, when the mixture looks crumbly, add the rice vinegar.
- Add water until mixture just comes together with a few crumbs still on the bottom of the bowl. Make sure the mixture is not too wet.
- Turn out onto a work surface and bring together into a square. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Using a sharp chef's knife, finely crumble the palm sugar. In a bowl, mix all filling ingredients together. Set aside.
- Remove pie dough from the fridge, unwrap, cut in half and roll dough out to a 16" by 16" round, 1/8 inch thin. Roll dough onto a rolling pin and then onto a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Fill the center with the full amount of cranberry filling in a single layer. Fold outer edges of dough into the center. Brush the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with crumbled palm sugar. Bake in a 325 degree convection oven until golden brown (about 30-40 minutes) or a 350 degree standard oven for 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan, then remove to rack to finish cooling.
- Cut in slices, garnish with orange zest, and serve with vanilla ice cream.