- 1/4 cup prosciutto, diced
- 1/4 cup pancetta, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Tuscan kale, picked and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh shell beans, blanched
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and meats. Cook the prosciutto and pancetta until lightly browned.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and squash. Sweat the vegetables until tender; do not let them brown. Add the garlic and pepper and cook until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and kale and stir until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beans.
- After adding the beans, add the stock and bay leaf, and return to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Remove 2 cups of the solids and liquid. Place in a blender and puree. Return blended mixture to the soup pot and stir to combine.
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve with grated parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.