- 1 cup grade B maple syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- Whisk ingredients together and strain. Chill the mixture overnight, if you can, to get rid of any excess foam.
- Place ovenproof ramekins (4 to 6 depending on their size) into a roasting pan (or similar pan with sides that are higher than the ramekins.) Pour the maple mixture into the ramekins. Fill the roasting pan with water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in a water bath at 300 degrees.
- Check the custards after about a half an hour. They usually take about an hour to set, but that may vary slightly due to the oven, roasting pan or ramekins.
- After the mixture has set, chill until cold and garnish with lightly sweetened vanilla whipped cream.