A New England favorite gets a spicy little update in this recipe from chef Kevin Long, who uses ginger, lemongrass and an array of peppers (Thai bird chili, jalapeno and dried red chili) to punch up the flavor (and the heat). Give it a try at home to give your summer repertoire a hint of the Far East.
- 8 1 1/4 pound lobsters, steamed
- 48 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and finely julienned
- 1 large red onion, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1 dried red chili, roughly chopped
- 1 green jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 small Thai bird chili, thinly sliced
- 1/2 stalk of lemongrass, outer layer removed and sliced on the bias
- 1/4 cup demerara sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a wok or large skillet. Add the garlic, dried chilies, and lemongrass, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add half of the red onion and all of the ginger, then continue to sauté until the vegetables are slightly soft. Add the fresh chilies, and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, demerara sugar, fish sauce and lime juice to the mixture, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes. Then, reserve the sauce in a bowl for later use.
- Crack the lobster claws and knuckles so the meat can be easily removed from its shell. Remove the lobster tails completely from the shell and cut into medallions. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil in your wok or large skillet. Add the rest of the red onion and sauté until slightly soft. Then, add all three sliced peppers to the pan and cook until they are slightly soft as well.
- Add the reserved lobster meat, claws and sauce to the peppers and onions mixture and heat just until warm. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Place on a large platter, garnish with the chopped scallions and serve immediately.