- 12 ounces lamb loin or lean meat from the leg
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon za'atar spice
- 1 tablespoon cornichons, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- dash Tabasco
- lemon juice to taste
- fleur de sel to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons harissa paste
- Chop or grind the meat very small, keeping it as cold as possible to keep the texture ideal (putting it in a bowl set over an ice bath works well). Work in small quantities, only chopping what you need for the day.
- In a bowl, quickly add all ingredients in the order listed. Taste, and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- Serve the tartare with toasted baguette and harissa.