Chef Louis DiBiccari showcases lamb’s versatility in this recipe for lamb meatballs, by adding mascarpone and za’atar spice blend, which keeps them moist and adds a surprising Middle Eastern twist. Enjoy them as a first course or put them with a pasta dish for a delicious and filling entrée.
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon za’atar
- 4 egg yolks
- Juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine lamb, pork, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, mascarpone cheese, salt, za’atar, egg yolks and lemon juice. Mix all ingredients, with your hands, until well incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon, separate mixture into golf ball sized pieces. Then with your hands, shape into rounds.
- Heat a skillet, over medium high heat, and lightly coat with olive oil. Add enough meatballs to fill pan with one layer. Brown meatballs on two sides and then transfer to a roasting pan.
- Repeat with remaining meatballs and then place roasting pan in preheated oven for ten minutes, or until cooked through.