In this blended soup recipe, cucumber goes from a mild vegetable to a mighty main dish with the help of olive oil, vinegar and salt. Chef Justin Urso tops his with small piles of trout roe, fresh dill and rolled up pieces of smoked salmon, but you can always keep things simple and serve your bowl with just the homemade croutons (which are impressive enough on their own).
- 2 pounds of English cucumbers, peeled and de-seeded
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Pumpernickel Rye bread
- Mix the cucumber and salt. Allow to sit for one hour. Remove the cucumbers and discard any liquid. Purée the cucumbers in a blender with the vinegar until smooth.
- Slowly stream in olive oil. Pass through a chinois. Adjust seasoning with salt and vinegar.
- To make the croutons, slice the bread approximately ¼ inch thick and long enough to sit on top of your serving vessel. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Bake in a 300°F oven until crisp (approximately 8 minutes). Allow to cool.
- To serve, pour 5 ounces of soup into a bowl. Lay crouton on the rim of the bowl offset to one side.