Sure they’re simple, but a big pile of perfectly seasoned, crispy brown home fries is also the perfect brunch side dish. This recipe from David Hutton is easily doubled for larger crowds or halved for a casual breakfast on a lazy Sunday morning.
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, diced and blanched
- 1/2 Spanish onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- clarified butter
- Sauté the blanched potatoes in clarified butter until they start to brown.
- Add the peppers and onions and continue to sauté until they are soft and crispy. Then add the paprika and garlic powder.
- Finish with the scallions and season to taste with salt and pepper.