This light and refreshing dish from Brendan Joy is perfect for the summer months, but don’t be fooled by its minimalistic plating, this dish packs a lot of flavor. With the unexpected taste of slightly charred cucumbers, depth from the miso and grill essence on the fish, it’ll awaken your taste buds.
- 12 ounces striped bass (skin on or off)
- 2 English cucumbers, split lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more
- 1 tablespoon miso
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Place the cucumbers on the grill. Slightly char the cucumbers.
- Place the charred cucumbers in a mixing bowl and wrap the bowl in plastic so that the cucumbers will steam slightly and release their natural juice. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the cucumbers in a blender with the spinach, all the juices from the bowl and the miso. Start to blend until smooth and slowly drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- Season the bass with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Place on the grill and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side depending on the size of the fish. (Note: The local striped bass tends to be very large and will need a bit of a longer cook time).
- Allow the fish to rest for 1 minute. Place on a pool of the cucumber sauce and drizzle fish with olive oil, course sea salt and lemon juice.