- 4 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, white part only, trimmed of roots and tough outer leaves, sliced thinly crosswise, and swirled vigorously in a bowl of cold water to remove any grit
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock or high-quality canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup raw pistachios
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 small head radicchio, washed, dried, and thinly sliced crosswise
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a second pot with ice water. Add the peas to the boiling water and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain and plunge them into the ice bath to cool. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the leaks, season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the peas and chicken stock and simmer for 2 minutes. Purée the mixture in a food processor or blender. Strain through a fine sieve and set aside.
- Grind the pistachios in two batches: Put ½ cup of the nuts in a blender or food processor and pulse until they form a powder. Watch closely - if you process them too long, they will become a paste. Transfer to a small saucepan and repeat with the second batch.
- Stir the cream into the pistachios and simmer over low heat for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add the radicchio, season with salt and pepper, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle the pea soup into warm bowls. Swirl some of the warm pistachio cream into each portion, top with the radicchio, and serve immediately.