Ginger, cinnamon and cloves give great depth and flavor to these cookies, which are equal parts healthy and homey. There’s a slight hint of spice, along with a touch of sweetness that’ll make you just a tiny bit nostalgic. Whichever way you savor these easy-to-make (and even easier-to-eat) sweets from chef Daniele Baliani, you can’t go wrong.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of egg whites
- 1/2 cup clover honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- Whisk oil, egg whites, honey, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Fold in flour and wheat germ a little at a time (do not overwork) until a smooth dough forms.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Shape the dough into a roll about 1.5 inches in diameter. Cut across with a sharp knife into 1/8 inch thick slices. Place slices of dough on a baking sheet with non-stick coating.
- Cook about 8 minutes. Let cool.