The summer season is in full swing, and with it come the smokey, toasty, scrumptious tastes of campfire cuisine. Save some hot coals from your next evening by the embers and bring them inside to make this beet salad from chef Dan Bazzinotti. You may never host another wiener roast when you taste just how flame-worthy these veggies can be. Bazzinotti balances the beets’ earthiness with creamy stracciatella, a zippy vinaigrette and some pistachios for crunch.
- 1 pound coals (from your campfire)
- 2 cups salt
- 2 bunches baby gold beets, tops on
- 2 bunches baby red beets, tops on
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups pistachio oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pint stracciatella cheese
- 1 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup mint
- Place coals in a roasting pan and cover with salt. Add beets and cover air tight with foil and place into a 325 degree oven for 35 minutes until beets are tender. Cool and peel.
- Mix the cider vinegar, pistachio oil and olive oil together in a quart cup to make a vinaigrette, cover and shake.
- On a large platter spread out stracciatella as a base.
- In a mixing bowl, toss cooked beets with vinaigrette and season with salt.
- Delicately place all beets over the cheese. Sprinkle pistachios around and garnish with fresh mint.