A harbinger of the holiday season (especially in New England) fresh cranberries start turning up in the produce section at your local market this time of year. Put them to good use in this recipe from chef Robert Daugherty, which sticks to the classic bright, citrusy flavors of traditional cranberry sauce but incorporates orange for a little extra sweetness. This chutney will store up to 30 days in an airtight container so get it done ahead of time to lighten your holiday cooking load.
- 3 12-ounce bags fresh cranberries
- 2 oranges, medium sized, diced to include rind
- 2 limes, diced to include rind
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup orange juice
- Wash the fruit and dice unpeeled oranges and limes into small cubes.
- Combine granulated sugar and water in heavy duty four quart pot. Bring to simmer. Stir over medium high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Cook until the sugar is a light caramel color. Add cranberries, oranges, limes and cinnamon sticks and orange juice.
- Add orange juice and simmer on low until the fruit is tender; about 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon sticks, and cool.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.