Chef Peter Davis spices up the traditional Thanksgiving table staple, cranberry relish, with a little fresh ginger and star anise. The tart, spicy add-on from the Henrietta’s Table chef and cookbook author will complement your holiday turkey, though he also recommends it with roast duck or chicken any time of year.
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 pieces star anise
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup kumquats, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, lightly saute the ginger and shallots in the oil.
- Tie the cinnamon stick and anise in a cheesecloth pouch. Add it, plus the remaining ingredients, to the saucepan.
- Bring everything to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until the cranberries are soft and cooked through.
- Set aside to cool.