Pastry chef Robert Gonzalez brightens up the holiday season with his chocolate crinkle cookie recipe. “They’re perfect for those who love soft-baked cookies,” he says. “And the cardamom adds the perfect holiday touch.” Try it out for yourself and give Christmas some extra twinkle with a chocolate crinkle.
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate, 55% preferred
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle, cream the butter, sugar, cardamom and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, followed by the melted chocolate. Mix well to combine.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Mix until the batter comes together.
- With a 1-ounce sized scoop, portion your cookies onto a flat cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Place the cookies into the fridge for 15 minutes to harden. Take the chilled dough balls and toss them in the powdered sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 min, or until the edges are slightly firm.