- 1 package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 shallot, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 quarts vegetable stock
- 8 mint leaves, picked from their stems
- 1 8 ounce container crème fraiche
- 1 8 ounce container Peekytoe crab
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil, add the sliced shallot and season with salt and pepper. Add the peas and bring back to a boil.
- Add the contents of the saucepan to a high powered blender and puree using the highest setting for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mint leaves, crème fraiche (set aside 1 tablespoon of the crème fraiche for the crab) and a 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and blend again. Check for seasoning; because the veloute will be served chilled, you may wish to salt more liberally that you would for a hot soup.
- Strain the soup through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl set over an ice bath and stir until chilled. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the crab with the lemon juice, chives, 1 tablespoon of crème fraiche and half a teaspoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve a spoonful of the crab with each helping of the chilled soup.