Perfect on its own or as an accompaniment to grilled salmon or rice dishes, cacik is a Turkish word that translates to “anything or everything green with garlic and yogurt.” Fittingly, Ana Sortun suggests topping this rich dip with mesclun greens tossed simply with olive oil and salt, and serving with pita bread for the perfect weeknight summer meal. Chopped cucumbers would be a welcome addition this time of year but you can also make this dish in the fall and add in more hearty veggies like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale and chard.
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 cups thick Greek-style yogurt
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 cup spinach, steamed or blanched, squeezed dry and roughly chopped
- 1 cup shelled peas, blanched
- 1/2 cup curly parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl stir the garlic and the lemon juice together until combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Then, stir in the yogurt and season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining ingredients and re-season to taste.